Our family hit a milestone this past week. We are now debt free (with the exception of our house)! This was a goal that we have been aiming at for several years and are beyond excited to finally hit.
You may be wondering how in the world we did this and the answer is very simple – we began following Dave Ramsey. He gave us the tools and motivation to get started and make this happen. Listed below are his baby steps that we are following. We just finished step 2 and are working hard on step 3!
1. Set aside $1000 for a starter emergency fund.
2. Pay off all debt (excluding your house) using the debt snowball.
3. Set aside 3-6 months of living expenses in savings.
4. Invest 15% of household income into Roth IRAs and pre-tax retirement.
5. Begin saving for your kids to go to college.
6. Pay off your home early.
7. Build wealth and give generously.
Why did we begin this journey? The answer is simple – we want to be good stewards of all that God has given and we want to be an example for others in how we handle our finances.
Can you get out of debt? The answer YES! I encourage you to pick up Dave Ramsey’s book The Total Money Makeover and watch the video below for some encouragement to find financial peace.
It may sound weird but you CAN be debt free!