– I have been thinking for some time lately about changing the way I blog. I greatly enjoy reading Dave Black’s daily blog and thought I would try to do something similar. I will try to update the blog towards the end of each day focusing on what I have been thinking, reading, and doing on that particular day. I plan to write some articles on various topics as well as book reviews but this “ongoing commentary” on my day will be what occupies the majority of my blog space.
– I finished reading Thom Rainer’s book, I Am A Church Member: Discovering The Attitude That Makes The Difference recently. This would be a great book to use for a new member’s class or to give out to church members that want to know what their responsibility is as a member. Very helpful!
– Have you ever wondered what makes life worthwhile? J. I. Packer offers some great insight into this question:
“What makes life worthwhile is having a big enough objective, something which catches our imagination and lays hold of our allegiance; and this the Christian has in a way that no other person has. For what higher, more exalted, and more compelling goal can there be than to know God?” (J. I. Packer in Knowing God)
I hope you have experienced true life in Christ because a relationship with him is what makes life worthwhile.
– I listened to an interview recently conducted by Tony Reinke that is available on his Authors on the Line podcast. The topic was “Spurgeon’s First Five Years In Ministry” and Reinke interviewed Tom Nettles and Christian George, both of whom have spent years studying the life and ministry of Charles Spurgeon. I can’t wait to get Nettles’ book when it hits the shelves and would love to help George edit and transcribe those journals (anyone with connections let me know!).
– Spurgeon is one of my heroes in ministry. This past Christmas my wife gave me one of his heavily amended manuscript pages. I love it and if you want one you can pick it up at Rare Document Traders!